Monday 30 June 2014

Product Review: Rimmel's Moisture Renew Lipsticks

People are hot on the idea of liquid lipsticks and non-stick stains that you can run a colourless gloss over the top of, but what about a lipstick that looks kinda like a gloss? It's a weird concept -- to me, anyway -- but I actually think that that is what Rimmel has achieved with their Moisture Renew lipsticks.

Rimmel London Moisture Renew Lipsticks -- front detailing
These lipsticks are one of Rimmel's newest lines to Australia -- I think. I know that they were an existing line in the US and UK that was re-formulated and re-launched in the later part of last year, but as I wasn't really on the makeup scene back then, I'm not sure about where Australia fits in with all of it. These new-and-improved lipsticks claim to make lips feel up to 70% more hydrated and 60% smoother, although I wasn't aware of this when I bought mine -- I just wanted some pink lipsticks to add to my collection!

Rimmel London Moisture Renew Lipsticks -- top detailing
I bought two of these at Chemist Warehouse a couple of weeks ago as part of a much larger haul (which you can check out here) in "As You Want Victoria" and "Piccadilly Pink". I was in a bit of a hurry so I didn't really look at testers -- instead, I picked out what I thought would be a nice bold hot pink and a more natural, girly pink and ran with them. There are an additional 10 shades available in Australia, and more again in the UK and US ("Piccadilly Pink" doesn't seem to be available, but I think it's comparable to "Amethyst Shimmer" in the UK, and somewhere between "Latino" and "Vintage Pink" in the US).

Rimmel London Moisture Renew Lipsticks -- side detailing
What I absolutely adore about these lipsticks is that they go on like butter! They glide on smoothly over lips and have a really gorgeous glossy effect -- I like to think that they're more of a lipstick version of the Apocalips Lip Lacquer. The opacity for such a soft lipstick is absolutely incredible, and I only really need one coat to get full colour. Due to the butter-like texture, they do make my lips incredibly smooth and I feel them getting softer as time goes on. I don't feel that I need to really worry about dry patches on my lips either, because I don't feel that it sticks to it. Another plus for me was that it didn't feather out or bleed, which I have noticed a little with the Apocalips.

"As You Want Victoria" (left) and "Piccadilly Pink" (right)
But what about the downfalls? A lipstick as moisturising and smoothing as this almost seems too good to be true. It's true, it's not a perfect product. It's so soft that I don't think it would fare very well in hot weather -- there is no way that I would ever leave this in the car! It's super glossy nature means that it might not wear as long as other lipsticks -- usually. I tested out "As You Want Victoria" (a vivid fuchsia pink) over the course of a day at uni -- I applied it at about 9.30 am once I'd finished breakfast. Throughout the day I chatted with friends and performed a spoken test, and at 4pm, when I checked myself in the mirror, I found that it had more or less lasted quite well. It had faded a little, and I did decide to reapply, but there wasn't that awfully stark "ring of colour" around my lips. That being said, I didn't eat or drink during the day, and this would've happened if I had -- personally, however, it doesn't bother me too much, because all lipsticks tend to do that to me anyway. "Piccadilly Pink", which is more of a natural baby pink (on me at least), tends to fade away evenly to more of my natural colour whilst still retaining its soft lipstick feel.

Swatches
The only thing that I was super conscious of was making sure that I didn't get any lipstick on my teeth -- this will happen if your teeth touch your lips, and I'd chalk it up to the soft formula. It can also smudge if you're careless with application or if you accidentally knock your mouth -- and the bolder colours might be somewhat more difficult to clean up. There's also a faint scent, kind of like a light perfume -- I personally like it, but some people won't.

Wearing "As You Want Victoria"
Wearing "Piccadilly Pink"
Overall, I would say that this is a fantastic drugstore lipstick line to have. My mother bought a couple of the brown shades on my recommendation and she's been really happy with them! I'll probably buy a couple more myself in the future.

Padawan Product Rating: A-

Do you own any of these lipsticks?

Sarah xo

No comments:

Post a Comment