Saturday 20 December 2014

Blogmas Day 19 | My Mascara Collection

I don't have as much mascara as I do lipstick -- but then again I'm not totally sure that that many mascaras exist. I've wanted to do a post on my mascara collection for a while, but for whatever reason, it never eventuated! My ideal mascara packs on loads of volume -- length is nice too, but I'm mostly concerned with have lashes thicker than an Amazonian forest. Rather than organising my mascaras based on what "finish" they're supposed to give me, I've organised them into categories based on either preference (e.g. favourites) or function (e.g. colour).


Yeah, I have a lot of mascara -- and I think I need to throw out and/or replace some of them soon. Let's get to it!

The Angelina Jolies and George Clooneys

A-Lister Mascaras


  • Too Faced Better Than Sex || My favourite mascara of all time. When I first looked at it at Mecca Maxima, I asked the girl what she thought and she swore that it was the best she'd ever used. I was sceptical but I bought it anyway -- and she was right. It packs on a heck tonne of volume onto my lashes, so that they look nice and thick and fluffy like a Pomeranian. It's the first mascara that I've bought which immediately impressed me on first use.
  • L'Oreal Paris False Lash Butterfly Wings || This was my favourite before I discovered Better Than Sex. I get a great amount of volume, length and curl from this product -- they're about a step down or two from Too Faced, but you can't go wrong with it.
  • L'Oreal Paris Volume Million Lashes || I originally wasn't too hot on this because it provides me with more length than volume, but it really has grown on me. Sometimes I find I want a bit of length if I'm doing a bold liner, and this usually does the trick.
  • Revlon Bold Lacquer by Grow Luscious || I had zero expectations for this mascara when I got it (for free, I might add), but I was actually pleasantly surprised! I'm not 100% sure, but I think it contains fibres -- not a huge amount, but enough to add a nice amount of length and volume. I am a little careful with this because I think it may have the potential to create clumps, but I quite like it.
  • Rimmel Wonder'full || Ahh, I love this. It contains Argan oil, which sent the beauty world gaga for a while, but I personally don't know that it does anything. I really like this amount of volume it gives to my lashes; it's a solid dependable.
  • Benefit They're Real! || A lot of people seem to either love or hate this mascara -- I'm in the former category. Despite it being built in the shape of a medieval weapon of incredible damage, I find that it does give me a nice amount of volume and length if I'm careful enough with it. Let me tell you, the risk of stabbing yourself increases by 500% -- you'd want it to be good.

The Rosamund Pikes and Katherine Heigls

Mascaras That Do A Pretty Good Job


  • ModelCo Fat Lash || I think this is supposed to dupe the Benefit They're Real! mascara, because the mascara wand shares some similarities in appearance, but I don't think it really is. It does a good job of delivering volume that isn't as "out there" as others -- think of a copse of trees instead of a forest.
  • CoverGirl Bombshell Volume by LashBlast || While it doesn't provide anything outstanding, this is a really dependable mascara, especially if you want an everyday or no-makeup look with lashes that have a bit more volume than normal. If you want to wear lashes and want a mascara that will give you great volume without being too much for them, this is the one to go for.
  • Max Factor Excess Volume Extreme Impact || This is an exact dupe for the CoverGirl Bombshell -- if you live in the UK (where CoverGirl is not available), this is what you'd get instead. I'm not even kidding, I wrote a post about this. They're exactly the same.
  • CoverGirl LashBlast Volume || Ahh, this the mascara that I bought when I was brave enough to start wearing it! It delivers a great punch of volume, but next to no length -- it was great for what I wanted all the way back then, but now I like it for simple looks.
  • Rimmel Extra Wow Lash || I was initially disappointed when I first purchased this product -- back then, I only had one mascara at a time! -- but it slowly grew on me until I couldn't be without it! I think it delivers a bit less volume than you might expect, but it nevertheless does a good job. If you want a mascara that gives you volume, but nothing too much, and length, but nothing too much, this is the one you want.

The Katy Perry

AKA Coloured Mascaras


  • Yves Saint Laurent Volume Effet Faux Cils in "Blue" || Called the Katy Perry simply because that girl has different hair colours all the time -- and some people either like that, or think it's bloody weird. I bought this because I wanted a blue mascara for my Keira Knightley look, and I figured that this matched what I wanted the closest. It delivers an amazing amount of volume and length, and I'd totally wear it more often if it weren't so expensive.

Baywatch Ready

AKA Waterproof Mascaras


  • Maybelline The Mega Plush Volum' Express || I bought this when my cat died, because I was damned if I was going to work without mascara, but neither did I want streaks of black running down my face if I suddenly burst into tears. This does a really good job -- I don't think it really provides too much volume, and I think that's because of the bendiness of the brush, but I do feel like it kind of gives something of a "plush" effect. Contrary to opinions about waterproof mascaras, it's not all too hard to take off.

Mediocre "Celebrities" Who Wreck The Good Name Of The Human Race

Rubbish Mascaras


  • Revlon Lash Potion by Grow Luscious || I bought this because it promised volume and length -- in fact, I was a bit worried when I bought it, because with a name like "Lash Potion" I wasn't sure if it was some kind of serum that would make them grow sky high. Well, it didn't. It did barely anything. It's okay if you want a little mascara before you put on lashes, but otherwise it's a complete disappointment for me.
  • W7 Magic Eyes || I don't think I've ever been so disappointed by a mascara in my life, and given all of the others on this list, that's saying something. The wand looks like a cheap pipe cleaner, and even though it promises "no more clumpy lashes", I actually feel like I'm in more danger of getting them! What's the point in voluminous lashes if you're going to stick them all together? Ugh. No. Get out of my collection.
  • Too Faced Lash Injection || I got this "deluxe sized" mascara with the Pardon My French kit and it's rubbish. It may just be because of the wand, because it's one of those crappy generic wire spoolies, but it does absolutely zero for me. I get barely anything on my lashes.
  • Elizabeth Arden Beautiful Color || This is not a coloured mascara, so I'm not quite sure what's happening with the name. All I know is that it's relatively crap -- and again, I think it comes down to the cheap and nasty wire spooley. I think it might work better if it had a different brush, but I haven't seen the full size product to check and see. If the original does have a different brush, why change it? It Benefit can use their original brush, sure Elizabeth Arden can. As you can see, I've got two of these. I hate to waste mascara, so I'm trying to use them up for when I put on false lashes.

That is my mascara collection, done and dusted! Let me know if you have any of these mascara, and what your thoughts were. Alternatively, let me know about some of your favourite mascaras, because I'll be on the hunt to replace the fails in my collection!

Sarah xo

No comments:

Post a Comment