Tuesday 4 October 2016

Lip Monthly | September 2016 (Weirdest. Stuff. Yet.)

It's been quite a while since my last Lip Monthly post -- the first half of 2016 was so insanely busy that blogging obviously slowed down, and the last couple of months have also been busy for me. Busy in the sense that I've needed a break from everything after finishing my Masters degree. I was still getting my Lip Monthly in the mail, but there was no way I had the motivation to blog about it.

If you're reading this post, and thinking, "Lip Monthly? Whaaaat?", I'll break it down: Lip Monthly is a monthly subscription service that sends three or four beauty products to your doorstep -- I've typically found this to be three lip products and one product from some other category. If you're a lipstick hoarder like myself (I've got at least two shoeboxes), this is a great way to get a monthly lipstick fix and try out a few brands you might not normally get, especially if you're outside the US.


This month's little bag was accompanied by a product that immediately caught my eye: the Model Co Lip Enhancer Illusion Lip Liner. With a nude beige "one shade suits all" colour, it's meant to emphasise the size of your lips, so that you can "create the perfect lip silhouette". I've tried it once and a I don't mind it, but until I play with it a big more, the jury is still out overall. This retails for $22 AU.

Opening up my Lip Monthly purse, my eyes were immediately drawn to the JCat Beauty Wonder Lip Paint, in the shade "Curious Oysters". Perhaps the Alice in Wonderland reference should've been a clue, because this shade is weird. It's a semi-transparent shimmery, white gloss -- or so it looks at this stage. I'm wondering if it's actually separated on the journey, because when I read words like "lip paint", something thick and full colour is what comes to mind first, kinda like the OCC Lip Tars. I looked around on the web, and there were a number of different shades available, and while I like a challenge, this shade is not wearable for me. This retails for $4.99 US (about $6.51 AU).

Up after that was a Starlooks Lip Crayon in the shade "Dubl Bubl" -- and the name was enough to send off alarm bells in my head. (Someone play that Anne-Marie song, quick!) It made me expect a bright bubblegum pink, which is a shade that just doesn't play well with me. What it ended up being was a light, slightly pastel lavender, which for me is perhaps slightly worse. It's a shame, because, looking online, all of the other shades are really, really nice! Unfortunately, this is another total miss for me, though I know there are loads of girls out there who would rock it. The lip crayon retails for $19 US (about $24.79 AU).

Finally is a pack of ncLA Petite Instant Nail Fashion nail wraps, and while I know that some people don't like nail products, I kinda don't mind them! I'm about 98% certain that the design is an exclusive collaboration with Lip Monthly, as the it matches that on the bag; the Lip Monthly logo has also been conveniently printed on the sheet of wraps. I might get around to wearing these eventually, and looking  on the ncLA site, they have a lot of cute designs! (Secret between you and me: there's a Pride and Prejudice and Zombies set, and you know that I need anything Jane Austen in my life now). Lip Monthly values this product at $11 US (about $14.35 AU), but all of the nail wraps from the Petite line are $9 US (about $11.74 AU), so... I'm gonna go with what's on the site.


Price: $12.95 US (~$16.89 AU)
Lip Monthly Bag Value: $52.99 US (~$65.04 AU)

While this month was kind of a fail for me in terms of shades, I've enjoyed Lip Monthly enough this year that I can easily overlook one dud month. I'm in two minds as to whether or not I'll keep the products I don't like -- I may hold onto the Lip Paint, because I do have a silver lipstick from the CoverGirl Star Wars collection... Who knows, perhaps I can make it work!

What did you think of the products in this bag? How would you use them? Let me know!

No comments:

Post a Comment