Tuesday 28 October 2014

12 Day Blogger Challenge - What I'm Currently Reading

This is probably the most disappointing post I've had to write in a long time. Why? Because, truthfully, I'm not really reading anything at the moment! I do have readings to get through for uni of course, so I'm getting through those -- but sadly there's nothing that I'm actually reading for pleasure!

If you want to know which is the latest book that has been causing me to tear my hair out, it's this one:

When quality veracity is shoddy, apply a filter.
Yup. The Norton Anthology of English Literature - Volume D: The Romantic Period. This book bothers me for many, many reasons.

For a start, it's a chock-a-block full of poetry.

I hate poetry.

Granted, there are actually excerpts from books in here, some of which are actually really good, but I cannot stand the majority of the poetry in here. I'm disappointed, because I feel like the class I had to buy this for had so much more to offer with a book like this, but they focused on more traditional topics and poets. There's nothing wrong with tradition, don't get me wrong, but here's the thing:

I'm not a poetic person.

Most of the time, I can't understand what I'm reading. It's not the language or the words -- I can comprehend those fine -- but I often fail to understand what it is I'm reading.

There are, however, exceptions to the rule.

Have you ever read "The Rime of the Ancient Mariner" by Samuel Taylor Coleridge? It's thrilling, it's exciting, it's downright creepy -- and it makes sense. Or how about just about anything by Robert Burns? Perhaps it's because I can't read it aloud without sounding like a Highlander, but I think it's hilarious.

Wordsworth, on the other hand? Wordsworth can get out.

That's what I've currently been reading lately, and it has been a roller coaster!

What have you been reading lately?

Sarah xo

No comments:

Post a Comment