Monday 25 August 2014

Product Review: CoverGirl's Lip Perfection Jumbo Gloss Balm

I've wanted this product since... Probably since I first saw the posters of P!nk wearing them. I can't lie, I did forget about them, but the sheer number of reviews about them has rekindled my interest. I've always had a fondness for CoverGirl -- weird, considering I own barely any of their products -- and after seeing that my local Woolies had started selling these Lip Perfection Jumbo Gloss Balms, I was as eager to get on board that ship as Sansa Stark.

Before I launch into my review, I'd like to point out something peculiar. Although I've linked to the Australian CoverGirl, the products on the site seem to be different to what I actually bought. The colour names are different and I can't seem to find a clear equivalent. Instead, they match what's on the US CoverGirl site -- but as I said earlier, I bought these from Woolworths. Priceline also has the same colours, and the shades named on the Australian site seem to be only available in America... Perhaps wires have been crossed somewhere!

CoverGirl Lip Perfection Jumbo Gloss Balm - "Scarlet Twist" and "Haute Pink Twist"

The CoverGirl Lip Perfection Jumbo Balms claim to be "fortified with Shea and mango butters for a smooth look with a hint of colour". I obviously can't do a spectral analysis to see if there are such ingredients, but given that I can't smell or taste any mango, I'm a happy camper. I picked up two colours: Scarlet Twist (possibly similar to Disco Punch) and Haute Pink Twist (which might be like Cosmo Confetti).

The packaging keeps it simple yet classy, with a coloured lid that matches the product inside, and a twist bottom to push up more product. It's shaped rather like a giant crayon or pencil, but the original shape of the product will be lost over repeated uses -- that, however, is to be expected. It's incredibly easy to apply and it's balmy formula means that you don't need to worry about feathering or bleeding.

Swatchity-swatch.
CoverGirl isn't available in the UK, but Brits can look towards Max Factor's Colour Elixir Giant Pen Stick if they find themselves envying the look of the product -- I'd suggest "Designer Blossom" or "Princess Rose" as being similar shades. However, these products appear to be a lipstick, rather than a glossy balm. If you're after the latter, the Xperience Sheer Gloss Balm might be what you're looking for, although shades appear to be limited.

CoverGirl Lip Perfection Jumbo Gloss Balm - Scarlet Twist

The Padawan within me wants to say that Scarlet Twist is a 'reddishy red-red with a smattering of red', because I'm having a bit of difficulty trying to decide if it's blue-toned or not -- I'm leaning towards saying it is. I'm reluctant to say that it's a 'true red' because I'm not exactly sure what that means, but rest assured that it is a really nice red.

It has a very, very faint scent that you have to almost actively sniff out to detect; there's no taste. It glides on nice and sheer, but colour can be built up if that's how you like it -- I know I do! This one doesn't highlight any dry patches, so I don't feel the need to exfoliate before hand, and it really does feel like I'm wearing a pigmented lip balm.

My favourite thing about this product is how it fades away -- I don't get the slightest ring of colour, even through eating and drinking! Perhaps it's a Padawan thing to think that might happen with a balm, but given the bright colour, it wouldn't have surprised me if I'd needed to smooth it out along the edges. My lips go to a natural reddish shade after a few hours of wear, and they don't feel the slightest bit uncomfortable. On the contrary, they're left feeling incredibly soft and, dare I say it, moisturised!


Wearing CoverGirl Lip Perfect Jumbo Gloss Balm - Scarlet Twist
Wearing "Scarlet Twist" -- excuse the bad hair.
 
Haute Pink Twist is easy to figure out -- being what I think is a girly, cool blue-toned pink, I'm reminded of Barbie dolls every time I look at it. This one does tend to highlight dry patches on my lips but, like any balm, it does soften them. It builds colour up very quickly and, like Scarlet Twist, has a very faint scent and no discernable taste.
 
The colour is quite bright for me, but after several hours it fades to a natural-looking, warm pink as my natural lip colour starts to show through. This colour is a step outside of my comfort zone, so for me I think it's a little dressy for an everyday look -- I'd reach for a bold red more than this -- but perhaps that's because I'm not normally a dressy, girly pink kind of girl.
 
Wearing "Haute Pink Twist"
There are loads of gorgeous colours in this range -- I really feel that you can't go wrong! If there were one drugstore lip crayon product you were going to buy, I think this would be it, especially at a retail price of $12.95.
 
Padawan Product Rating: A
 
Have you tried any of these gloss balms? What do you think of the potential website mix-up?
 
Sarah xo


2 comments:

  1. Love the shades you picked up! Super gorgeous!
    xprincessjas | ♥

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They're very wearable, aren't they? Thanks for commenting! xo

      Delete