Wednesday 19 November 2014

You're It! The 1989 Tag

It's been a hectic few weeks with uni, although now that it's done and dusted for another year, I can get back to blogging regularly -- it's become a favourite pastime!


I have been waiting for another tag post to show up for ages. I love them. I love answering questions. I also love Dorkface, the blog where I first saw this tag. I also happen to love Taylor Swift, although I haven't yet gotten around to listening to most of her new album (although how awesome is her new music video, right?).

1: Welcome to New York

If you could live in any city, which would it be and why?
I don't really know! I really want to live somewhere in Cornwall in the UK, but that's technically not a city. -- And yet I can't say London or Manchester as an equivalent because I've never felt that same urge to live there. For me, in terms of city, it'll have to be right in the heart of Melbourne, Australia -- I love it, it's a beautiful place with excellent coffee!

2: Blank Space

What is something that everyone thinks is true about you but is actually false?
That I'm some kind of smart genius. I'm sure nobody I know now really thinks it, but I got people telling it to me a lot when I was at school. I'm nowhere near an idiot, and I think my logic and reasoning skills are quite good, but I'm no genius -- I just studied really hard.

3: Style

What is one item in your closet that makes you feel unstoppable?
My ear cuffs. I put those babies on and I feel like I could kick ass. I can't find them at the moment though, so I might have to buy some new ones...

4: Out of the Woods

What is one thing you're afraid of?
Syringe needles. Severe trypanophobic over here. A couple of nights ago I watched an old video by Emily on Beauty Broadcast about her experience having her daughter Belle -- as soon as she said the word "IV" I was shaking and crying.

5: All You Had To Do Was Stay

Who is someone you wish was still in your life?
My cat, Claflin. I would've had him for almost a year now. There aren't any humans that I've lost that I care enough about to want back.

6: Shake It Off

What is something you have had to shake off?
General unhappiness, I think.

7: I Wish You Would

What is something you'd like to happen right now?
I'd like to get an offer for my postgraduate enrolment right now! That'd save me weeks of unconscious worrying.

8: Bad Blood

Have you ever had someone stab you in the back?
Yeah, and I've never met a person who hasn't been stabbed in the back.

9: Wildest Dreams

What would you like to be remembered for?
I'd say for having passion in my teaching and interests. I've really come to enjoy several topics of study that I thought I'd hate, and it's something I want to pass onto prospective students.

10: How You Get The Girl

What is your favourite pick-up line?
Oh God, I don't think I really like pick-up lines at all. I certainly can't use them! I guess I just kind of don't trust guys who will use them, they're constantly being associated with men who are sleazy or dodgy.

11: This Love

What is something you got back that you thought you never would?
My school diary from 2007. Back before kids were using fandangled iPads to organise their shiz for them, my high school would give us a school diary every year to keep track of our homework. Anyway, in the second week of school I couldn't find mine anywhere -- I was so worried because I knew that I'd have to pay to get another one, but I wasn't old enough to work and I knew that mum would go ballistic if she knew I'd lost it. After being shouted at and publicly humiliated by one of my teachers for not having it, I told myself that I was just going to have to suck it up and ask mum for some money. I asked my homeroom teacher if he could find out how much it would cost -- knowing that I wasn't careless with my possessions, he somehow found a spare and gave that to me.

At the end of the year we were cleaning everything out, and my friends and I had taken it upon ourselves to tackle the disgusting mess that one friend in particular called a locker -- it was in such a state, we needed multiple bins. As we worked our way to the bottom of the pile, guess what I found? My long-lost diary! It turned out that she and another of my friends had pinched it as a joke at the start of the year and forgotten about it. I was so angry that I may have smacked one of them across the face -- nobody should be humiliated to the verge of tears in front of their classmates, and they'd been there when it had happened.

12: I Know Places

Where is one place you always feel safe?
My bedroom.

13: Clean

What is an important lesson you have learned in life, and how did you learn it?
About this time last year, I learned that I am so much more valuable than I give myself credit. Growing up, I never got myself down on my looks, but that was only because I had accepted that I looked inferior to everybody else. I could see the beauty in every other girl I looked at but never in myself -- and I was alright with that, because I had amazing friends and I had a good study ethic, so to me beauty wasn't something that factored for me personally.

If you've been a reader of Beauty Padawan for a while, you'll know that Jena Malone is my biggest role model. I never shut up about her. I've been a fan of hers for a very long time, but it was last November that one of her interviews (I can't even remember which one) struck a chord with me and inspired a sudden epiphany that I am pretty. I suddenly rejected the innate negativity that had stayed hidden for 15 years and I felt like a weight had lifted from my shoulders, one I hadn't known existed. From there, I was able to look at myself in a more positive light, and I realised that any goals I had about beauty and fitness -- which I'd all rejected as being virtually unattainable -- were actually all within my grasp if I worked hard enough for it.

And I am.


That's it for the 1989 tag! I haven't done a tag for months and the only tag I've seen floating around lately has been the autumn tag -- not exactly seasonally appropriate for Australia. I tag you to do the 1989 tag if you enjoy Taylor Swift's music too -- and send me a link so I can see your answers!

Sarah xo

No comments:

Post a Comment